Background

Friday, July 3, 2009

Tea Time

One of my (Ashley's) favorite things about Moroccan culture is 'Tea Time'. Women invite friends into their home where they sit and chat for hours over mint tea and goodies. I went with my mentor for tea at one of her friend's villas (quite possibly the largest home I have ever been in) and was amazed by the multiple rounds of cookies and treats, coffee, juice and tea. On one visit for tea in Marrakech, we chatted about a recent wedding, saw all the wedding pictures, and then watched the wedding video... for three hours. As a general rule, Moroccans are very hospitable, which is reflected in the custom of sharing tea. I have enjoyed visiting homes and attempting to speak with Moroccans in broken, toddler-like Arabic.

Most recently I spent an afternoon with friends drinking Southern-style sweet tea. The two Moroccans in this picture are sisters (the one on the left is older, and the one on the right has a twin who wasn't there). One of them speaks English very well, so talking with her about life and Moroccan culture was a real treat!


We talked about many things. We talked about our understanding of who we are as human beings and about our creator, about life and death. I pray that God will bless my new friends as they have certainly blessed me. It was a 'Tea Time' that encouraged and challenged me, one that I will not soon forget and one that I would love to share with you sometime.